Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Heads or Tails - Case -2/24/09


The prompt for this week's Heads or Tails was Case. I chose Tails (any word that rhymes with Case).

The Vase.....

My Mother loves flowers. She has a green thumb. Something was always growing in our yard. From the time I can remember I would bring her flowers from the yard. Because she often had cut flowers in the house, usually sitting on the kitchen table, I knew she loved having them inside where she could see them. As I got older I noticed she used the same vase each time. It was a delicate green vase with swirls of gold on it. As time passed the little green vase became too small for the larger bouquets I brought to her.

One Saturday, many years later, I fetched her flowers and as she was putting them in water I ask her about the green vase. She said the vase had been her mother’s and when I began to bring her flowers she asked her mother if she could have the vase as it was the perfect size for my little flowers.

She went to the cabinet and brought out the green vase with gold swirls and gave it to me. She said, "I thought you would think about it one day I have been keeping it safe for you". The vase was mine for about ten years until my daughter claimed it. Just a few weeks ago, I saw the simply green vase with gold swirls looking gorgeous holding three red roses with the stems cut short. It was sitting on her coffee table. I mentioned her flowers and she said, "I love cut flowers in my house just like you and Mamaw".

The old green vase with the gold swirls has served us well and brought much joy. And I hope it continues to for many years.

3 comments:

myrtle beached whale said...

Great family tradition. In our family we pass down dysfunction and addiction.

Barb said...

This is a wonderful post about families, tradition.. and most of all love.

Did you ever put dandelions in the vase? I always proudly displayed the ones my kids used to bring me. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi, I was just reading around, nice post - it has brightened my day considerably!

Best