Sunday, November 9, 2008

Sunday Scribblings - Change - 11/9/08

When I saw the prompt for this week’s Sunday Scribblings. I thought most people would be thinking about our recent national election, since for months all we have been hearing is how much America needs change. And perhaps we do, but that is not what I thought about today when I saw the prompt. I thought of daddy’s change.
For as far back as I can remember, nightly I would hear the sound of coins being dropped into a glass jar that sat on the floor beside the night stand in my parents’ bedroom. I thought every man did this, but as I grew older, I found out this wasn’t true. The fact was my father hated change, especially nickels! I tried to figure this out, but as a child this was above my thinking. To me money was money, no matter if it was paper or change.
As the years passed, we counted his change, or I should say I counted his change. I learned to count by counting pennies and he helped me learn to make change. Over the years, daddy’s change did many things for us. It took us to Washington, DC and to Florida. Once I counted his change and that weekend we headed to Myrtle Beach, SC. Over the years his change bought surprises for many different people.
As I got older, we made a deal. I counted, rolled and took it to the bank for paper money and for doing this I got to keep all the nickels myself. I remember once there was $42 in nickels. We kept this deal in place until daddy passed away. Several months after daddy’s death my mother called to ask me to come by the house, when I got there she had found one last jar of change. We made a decision, to keep daddy’s change just like he left it. So there it stays for now.

5 comments:

myrtle beached whale said...

This is a great post. My dad collected silver coins including dollars. I know he buried some in the yard in Folgers coffee cans. I hope he dug them up before he got sick. Otherwise they are still there. He also had a huge metal milk can full. My sister and I counted them up when we settled his estate. I am glad you left your dad's coins alone.

Ray said...

I'm glad you left your dad's coins as is, as well.

Great story.

"Sunshine" said...

Interesting that your dad combined with his spare change actually instigated changes in your life (various trips). I think it is very fitting that you chose to leave his coins alone after his passing. Great response to the prompt, and a beautiful remembrance to your father.

lilly said...

Great piece, and I agree with Ray.
P.S I love the red shoes.

g-man said...

Excuse me...Where have you been?